In April of 2017, following a third community meeting concerning approving variances for the proposed hotel development, Bloomfield Livable Streets wrote a letter to the developers, architects, and Councilmember Deborah Gross to reiterate and demand a more robust community input process and a more vibrant hotel development that reflects the creative community. In our letter, BLS has 2 clear demands to the developers & architects moving forward:
1. The community demands a development which responds and reflects the unique character of the surrounding neighborhood; and,
2. The community demands to be a part of the future design process to improve on the current design plans.
In January 2017, Bloomfield Livable Streets wrote a letter to developer Michael Kratsas (KN Penn LLC, firstname.lastname@example.org), Conor Magee (JMAC Architects, email@example.com), and Councilmember Deborah Gross (District 7, firstname.lastname@example.org), regarding the proposed hotel development at 4520 Penn Ave. In our letter, BLS:
– supported responsible, appropriately-scaled, and accessible design;
– expressed enthusiasm for development along that underutilized and vacant stretch of Penn Ave.;
– thanked the developer for the continued open dialogue and public input to the design process; and,
– pointed out our concern of the inclusion of two new driveways cutting across the sidewalk/public right-of-way.
See our full letter and pedestrian-friendly hotel development examples below: